A bit of a “ruff” week

by Liz N on June 8, 2012

Seems like it’s been a rough week for many bloggers and my week seems to have followed suit – however, when you’re down in the bottom of a ditch the only place to look is up :)

Upon picking up Miss Lucy from the kennel on Monday, I noticed that she wasn’t behaving like her usual self.   By Tuesday evening she was off her food and looking rather miserable and by Wednesday she was vomiting and shaking and straight into the vet hospital – diagnosis – some form of gastroenteritis that she picked up from the kennel.   When I phoned the kennel, they told me that she’d been vomiting but failed to do anything about it.  To say that I’m a tad angry about this could be the understatement of the year and I’m just about to email them the $1000 vet bill for Lucy’s stay in hospital, fluid transfusions, drugs etc.  I think that they should contribute to some of it – she wouldn’t have had to have the IV fluids if they had sent her to the vet in the first place..grrrrrr.

Anyway, Miss Lucy has changed from being an outside only dog to an inside dog, and she’s loving the attention.  She’s really responsive to being trained so we have had a few sessions of learning how to go to her big new dog bed and lie down in it – she’s been my constant companion, setting up camp outside my bedroom and being a good Labrador in general.

These events have put a spanner in any plans I made for the week, including trying to fit in yoga prac teaching hours and running kids around to their various activities.  However, I did manage to sandwich in a yoga class between teaching two RPM classes today.  Beautiful Canadian Karen asked what emotions were felt with the hip opening sequences and I wanted to put up my hand and say, “frustration”, because for reasons unbeknown, my poor old TFL and ITBs are really cranky this week.    Then I had to tell myself to loosen my attachment towards the feelings of frustration and as we all lay in savasana, I felt a sense of deep fatigue and as Lucy would say, a sense of “ruff”.

Apart from that, there was purchasing a book voucher that got lost and being chased off the squat rack by this Neanderthal type meathead at the gym which did little to improve my mood.

This week I also committed to linking up with Kyrstie from A Fresh Legacy who had the great idea of posting about quick, yet healthy meals that could be prepared in 30 minutes or less.  I squeaked this one in with 35 minutes – it’s very basic, but also very delicious.

Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni

Ingredients:

1 packet (250g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (press water out)

1 egg yolk

squidge garlic paste (I used my leftover Gourmet Garden)

squidge basil paste

500g light ricotta cheese

40g parmesan cheese, grated

nutmeg

15 g pine nuts.

375ml Tomato Passata or Pasta Sauce

Latina cannelloni sheets (fresh pasta)
Method:  Preheat oven to 180C (fan forced).   Combine ricotta, spinach, pine nuts, nutmeg, 10g parmesan, egg yolk and garlic and mix thoroughly.   Divide mixture into 12 serves and place a serve on a cannelloni sheet, roll up and place in a baking dish (spray with a little cooking oil).   Mix basil and passata/pasta sauce and cover cannelloni with it.  Then layer on remaining parmesan.   Cover baking dish with foil and bake 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake a further five minutes.   Serve with steamed vegetables or a salad.

Nutrition Panel:  414kcal  13.3 g fat, 30.2g protein, 43g carb.

As well as tasting delicious, this is an excellent amount of protein in a meal that is vegetarian in nature.

How’s your week been?  Here’s to brighter skies next week!

AFreshLegacy

{ 28 comments… read them below or add one }

Kek June 8, 2012 at 10:26 am

As you already know,my week’s been completely shite. I blame the full moon. ;o) I’m on the up and up now though.

Hope Miss Lucy is feeling better, pronto – and that you get to relax and enjoy the long weekend.

X

Liz N June 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I’m following you back to the land of the livign :)

Magda June 8, 2012 at 10:42 am

Oh Liz, I hope your puppy gets better quickly. What a terrible ordeal to go through. I’d be letting the kennel know that they failed in taking proper care of your precious one. Grrrrr!!!

I’ve made that spinach and ricotta cannelloni and its yum. Peter loves it too and doesnt mind embracing his inner vegetarian occassionally.

All in all my week’s been good. The Vit D defficiency could have been a LOT worse (dreaded diabetes) so I’m in a good place :-)

xx m

Liz N June 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Magda, I’m so glad to hear things are on the up and up!

Vicki June 8, 2012 at 10:57 am

It appears as though everyone has had a case of the blahs this week .. And that’s being polite! Here’s to a fabulous long weekend of rest relaxation and time with family. Next week will be fabulous! Oh and thanks for the recipe, haven’t had this for a while so might have to whip this one up sometime!
Vic x

Liz N June 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Hi Vicki,
Thanks – must definitely be something in the water. Here’s to better things next week! x

Kirst June 8, 2012 at 11:07 am

Wow, this week’s ‘crapness’ made it to the west as well. What a corker! I hope lovely Lucy is ok now. Here’s to a better week for all of us next week :)

Liz N June 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Agreed, next week should rock!

Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy June 8, 2012 at 11:43 am

Liz, firstly poor Miss Lucy – I love labs they are so beautiful. I hope she is on the mend soon. Poor puppy. Your week must have been so stressful!
Secondly, thank you for linking up such a great recipe and joining in this week. A huge achievement considering your week. It sounds delicious, I love cannelloni and I always have spinach in the garden so am looking constantly for new ways to use it. Thanks.

Liz N June 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm

You’re welcome. I think these link ups are a great way of discovering new blogs :)

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig June 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Sorry to hear you’ve had a crappy week :( I love spinach and ricotta canneloni, it was the only dish my mum could make well so it was my favourite meal of the week!

Liz N June 8, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Tara!

Deborah June 8, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Sorry to hear about your week! Hopefully things improve from here!

Deb

Liz N June 8, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Me too Deb :)

Char June 8, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Poor Miss Lucy. That’s not fun for her. And poor you. Weeks like this one’s been are just so very trying. But we take a big deep breath and move on because we’re incredible, strong women.

Liz N June 8, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Char x

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm

poor Lucy!! :( hope she is on the mend soon xx

Liz N June 11, 2012 at 7:59 am

Thanks Lisa!

Sara Lake June 9, 2012 at 3:18 am

Poor Miss Lucy! I hate it when my animals get sick.. you never know if it’s just a little tummy bug or if it might be something fatal. You have to be a mind reader… I’ve had two sick cats this week and was very pleased when they both recovered because we were snowed in and a trip to the vet was impossible anyway. I have suspicions that they both might have eaten poisoned, or possibly parasite ridden, mice. These two are the mousers of the family; the other two are either a) too old (Monty) or b) too fat and lazy (Razzy). Also Razzy thinks mice are icky. I’ve seen him leap backward away from one when it ran toward him.

Liz N June 11, 2012 at 7:59 am

I hope both of them are feeling a million times better – sick animals suck :) x

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts June 9, 2012 at 6:26 am

Sorry to hear you haven’t had a good week – and about poor Miss Lucy. I hope she is back to her usual self soon and you have a much better week ahead!

Liz N June 11, 2012 at 7:58 am

Thanks Kari!

kelli June 9, 2012 at 8:54 am

yum! and sheets are soooo much easier than tubes aren’t they!

Liz N June 11, 2012 at 7:58 am

YEs and yes!

Seana Smith June 10, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Poor old hound, I hope she is recuperating well and continues too. Love the sheets too, I used to try to pipe filling down the tubes, what a pain!!

Liz N June 11, 2012 at 7:56 am

Yes, now that I’ve discovered the sheets, so much easier than the stuffing..!

Jane June 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Hi Liz,
I love your blog but am a little shy about commenting however just wanted to let you know that I tried your cannelloni recipe and it went down a treat with the family, definitely one to add to list of favourites. Cheers Jane

Liz N June 13, 2012 at 5:56 am

Hi Jane, I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I think I’m going to have to make it again this weekend. It was super popular with my family too. THanks for coming out of lurkdom to comment. I love hearing from everyone :) (except the Nigerians)