List for a basic grease and oil change (ie check up)

by Liz N on May 29, 2012

Following on from yesterday’s post, I thought I’d put together a quick list of medical tests that should be part of a yearly check up, particularly if you’re over 40 and female.  I will assume my male readers have no interest in mammograms or Pap Smears :)

• Blood pressure
  • Skin examination (for suspect moles, precancerous growths etc)
  • Pap smear
  • Mammogram (over 40)

Blood Tests:

(standard)

• Fasting blood glucose (particularly if history of diabetes or PCOS)
  • Cholesterol including HDL, LDL and triglycerides
  • Full blood count
  • Electrolyte studies
  • Iron Studies (particularly if menstruation is heavy or involved in endurance sports)

(indicated by symptoms)

• Thyroid studies – TSH, T3, T4 (free), reverse T3 – particularly if thyroid problems suspected and useful if symptoms are vague.
  • Pituitary hormones/Sex hormones – governed by changes to menstrual cycle – follicle stimulating hormone, lutenizing hormone, plus oestrogens, progesterone, DHEA, testosterone (free)

It’s worth noting that some hormonal imbalances don’t show up as well on standard medical blood tests as they do with salivary hormone testing.   Thus for a suspected hormonal imbalance, I’d recommend salivary testing as well.

For symptoms relating to burnout and adrenal fatigue, I’d recommend diurnal salivary cortisol testing.  The concept of adrenal fatigue and what it actually means is quite contentious in medical circles however, it’s worth noting that cortisol levels can change (even if it isn’t obvious in a standard blood test) and it’s worth exploring if you haven’t found answers from your GP.     The symptoms correlate very well to what happens when we allow ourselves to become overworked/overstressed to the point of burnout.   Rest and lifestyle changes make the difference.

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Raechelle May 29, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Good list Liz; I actually had the pap done recenlty-this small town does things different than any other I’ve lived in. The gp wouldn’t do the pap, had to wait for the mobile nurse to come town….kind of a pain.
It’ll be interesting to see how many of those blood and saliva tests I can actually get done here and what I might have to travel elsewhere for. That’s really the only pitfall of living in small towns, the medical care ain’t all that crack hot.
Thanks for the list though-I printed out the blood and saliva stuff. :-0

Liz N May 30, 2012 at 11:59 am

No worries :)

Char May 29, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I’d add vitamin D levels to that mix as well. Even though we’re in a sunny country a lot of people have low levels of vitamin D and these can impact on bone health and a lot of areas of general health. Who does the salivary testing? Is it a QML/ Sullivan & Nicholaides thing?

Liz N May 30, 2012 at 11:58 am

You can get the salivary testing done through Healthscope Pathology :)

Me May 29, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Thanks for these – will certainly keep the list handy and try to get to them all over the next couple of months.
Have a great day !
Me

Liz N May 30, 2012 at 11:58 am

You too, Me :)

Magda May 30, 2012 at 3:03 am

I had my check up yesterday and fasting bloods done this morning. Incidentally pap smears are required every 2 years and thanks to a national register, your GP will remind you when its due. Mammogram screening kicks in at a later age (it must be 50, me thinks). My GP also included Vit D levels to be tested – its all the rage now as many are showing deficiencies. Oh and an easy peasy anybody can do test – weight and BMI :-)

M

Liz N May 30, 2012 at 11:58 am

Yup, was going to mention BMI, as a general guide but forgot :)

Deb (Schmiet) May 30, 2012 at 4:53 am

Gulp…..

Liz N May 30, 2012 at 11:57 am

You’re a funny bugger!

Seana Smith May 31, 2012 at 4:37 am

Very handy, I’m going soon to my GP for an overall late-40′s checkup so lets see what we cover. Thanks Liz.

Liz N May 31, 2012 at 7:06 am

Good luck – you don’t look a day over 40 though :)

Vicki May 31, 2012 at 6:11 am

I read both your posts on this Liz and I related completely. Last year I went to the doc for the “checkup” and as I was feeling tired all the time. I think the tiredness is the same as you .. balancing work, family, life etc but the doc questioned my BP .. it was high, of course I claimed white coat and a bit stressed running around blah, blah … Long story short, I had to monitor it for a month to see if it stayed up there .. it did, I am now on medication to regulate it. This took me quite some time to wrap my head around, I’m fit ( was training for the half at the time! ), I eat well, I’m not overweight .. are you kidding, what else do I have to do!! Hereditary condition I can’t do much about, except say that these things can’t be overlooked no matter how fit and healthy you think you are. Go and get your regular check ups!
Vic x

Liz N May 31, 2012 at 7:05 am

Hi Vicki,
I’m a bit the same with my cholesterol – and yep, there are going to be things going wrong as we get older – that’s ageing :)
xx