Being your best!

by Liz N on February 28, 2012

It’s been just over two months since Mr Lucy had his accident and he is literally beginning to get back on his feet at the physio and I must say that it’s turned the Last Chance Training household on its’ head – shall we say that I learned a lesson in how much we both contribute to the running of the house and garden – Mr L usually does a lot more than I’ve ever given him credit for (sorry Mr L).

Initially, I tried to keep everything together and do everything perfectly, however this pretty quickly began to take its toll in the form of too much Indian takeaway and a few missed training sessions.  Once I let go of trying to be perfect, things started settling down nicely, however it meant that I landed a couple of extra kilos on my frame which I’m none too pleased about.   It’s not a huge amount of weight, but an amount where I had to draw a line in the sand and say “enough is enough”.

I really hesitated about writing anything in my blog about the desire I have to be at my best – and part of that for me is maintaining a lean, fit physique.  I’m not talking about unusually low body fat levels or starvation regimes, but rather a return to taking the time for a bit more self care in this department – for example, preparing healthy meals ahead of time and making sure I stay properly hydrated and get enough sleep.    I did not want my musings to be construed as a plan to go on some wacko diet, neither did I want to attract criticism for the choices I make when I decide to get leaner, such as keeping a food diary and using both the kitchen and the bathroom scale as guideposts in the overall picture. I was  remembering all too well that when I decided to prep for another Figure Comp, I copped a fair bit of flak for these choices from a few people that claimed to have my best interests at heart (fiddlesticks!)

Thinking about my hesitation to share such things, it made me begin to wonder why sometimes, factions of our sisterhood can seem less than supportive towards others who are trying to achieve fitness and health goals.  On the flip side though, I know I have quite a few people around me who speak my fitness language as far as the concept of being your best is concerned.

In the meantime, I’ve just been motoring along, keeping a record of my food intake and focusing on being more mindful about my eating habits – and unsurprisingly am feeling much better already for noticing both my good and not so good health habits.

Is fitness tied up in a personal aim to be your best “self” – in mind, body and spirit?  How do you feel about sharing your goals with the wider fitness/blogging community?  Have you ever been criticized for expressing your desire to be fitter, faster and stronger?

{ 34 comments… read them below or add one }

Heather February 28, 2012 at 8:16 am

Good call – I think there is always judgement out there, both positive and negative when it comes to health choices etc, as even one’s nearest and dearest are spread across the spectrum of perspective of what is considered ‘healthy’ (does that make sense?! bit wordy LOL).
And yes, fitness is just that – wanting to be the best you can be – despite other’s perceptions of your (considered) decisions on diet and exercise!! For me that means sometimes keeping my goals/choices to myself!! :)

Kerryn Woods (@kerrynwoods) February 28, 2012 at 9:31 am

It’s funny, isn’t it (and not funny ha-ha, funny-strange) how some people claim to know what’s best for everyone? I learned long ago that what works for one person may not work so well for another. We all have different personalities, different histories, different schedules and different relationships in our lives; so it’s hardly surprising that there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach to health and fitness.

If somebody else wants to follow a low-carb diet, banish fun foods from their life, hide their scales or religiously calculate every calorie expended at the gym, what business is it of mine? None of those things appeal to me, but if any/all work for that mythical person, then hey, good for them.

Similarly, I expect folks to respect my personal choices and mind their own bloody business. I can’t say I’ve had problems in that area with the online community, but real-life family/friends are a whole other story… O_o

Whatever. Pursuing improvements in fitness, health and physique are important to me, and I’m going to continue on my merry way regardless of what others think.

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:57 am

Hi Kek,
I reckon that there’s always going to be someone somewhere and perhaps it’s best just to move right along and yell, “NEXT!” xx

Marion February 28, 2012 at 11:50 am

Hi Liz! I love that picture up in the post!!!!! Go get ‘em, Tiger! Be yourself. I have found that it *never* works to please others.

Good luck with the yoga training. I was an incredibly stiff person when I started yoga. One of my yoga friends laughed so hard (in a good way) at my frustrations (more like curses) with the most basic of poses. I don’t know how much yoga you’ve done, but if this happens to you, you need to know that I am still improving in yoga after over 3 years of doing the same poses. It is a slooooow process! Taking years.

That’s why you need to enjoy learning about yourself in the process, because often the results are not something that can routinely be enjoyed. When I mean enjoy learning about yourself, I mean to enjoy finding out how you can meaningfully struggle through a process and succeed. It’s a good thing hidden by hard things, if you know what I mean.

Remember to use the drishti for each pose and follow all the pointers for form because, in yoga, the hard way is the faster better way to flexibility. And you’ll do super great! All your intelligence about weightlifting form and fitness techniques all apply, and you’ll constantly find the similarities, which make the learning* much* easier.

:-) Marion

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:56 am

Hi Marion,
After my first day, your words about yoga have some real meaning. I’ll be sharing my thoughts over the next couple of days – but THANK YOU :)

Maryanne Bailey February 28, 2012 at 11:56 am

Glad to hear that through an ‘injury’ that I’m not the only one to gain some extra KG’s!
I too am feeling a little better though after starting this week on the right foot (literally – MS Left is still not always playing the game).
I often hear from groups of mums – you look ‘great’ already, you don’t need to reduce your weight. However what they consider to be ok may not be my ok! Quite often now it is just easier to not share my thoughts on what I am trying to do with the community in which I live. ‘You must be back into everything then Maryanne, I’ve heard many times lately, 13 weeks post op (if only they knew exactly what i was doing to get this leg functioning again)!
In addition I am working on the ‘mind’ side too – realising that at 13 weeks post op, one ‘truing’ session a day is actually ok and I don’t need to punish my ‘mind’ for not doing morning and night!!!!

I hope Mr Lucy is back ‘running’ real soon!

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:55 am

Hey MA,
I know what you’re going through to get that leg functioning again. So proud of your efforts and achievements to get it to where it is! And there is nothing better than feeling fit and strong so keep at it! xx

Magda February 28, 2012 at 12:08 pm

When my planets are out of alignment (as they are now), I’m a mess that struggles to function. Part of my planetary alignment – a BIG part – is my physical health and fitness – eating well, moving regularly. I do share my goals but get a bit embarrassed and frustrated when I dont see them through so now I probably will share them less often.

I personally havent been critisised for wanting to be leaner / fitter and even if I had been, it’d be a case of ‘this is important to me.’ Like Kerryn said ‘what works for one, may not work for another.’ We all need to find our own life script and be brave enough to follow it even if others try to knock us down.

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:54 am

Hi Magda,
Please don’t stop sharing. I love that you’re so honest about your life – it makes it easier for me to share :) xx

Lyndy February 28, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Boy howdy do I relate. I was morbidly obese (the majority of my life) and have lost 94 pounds in the last year. Now I am into weight lifting and getting my body fat down to where I can see muscle definition. I’ve never been anything but fat so being fit is amazing and it’s all new to me. However, most people tell me I don’t need to lose any more weight. They don’t understand that I am trying to be ultra-fit (not ultra underweight). When I tell them my main fitness goal is to be able to do unassisted pull ups, their eyes glaze over like, “Why would you want to be able to do that?” I guess I need to stay on my own side of the road and focus on my goals versus what others think I need to be doing!

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:53 am

Hi Lyndy,
What a fantastic achievement – I hope you’re really proud of your efforts and are revelling in your new body, mobility and fitness. So excited for you as it sounds like the road you are on is just right! Cheers Liz :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm

THere really is too much ‘judgment’ – isnt there.

I think it sounds like you have a wonderful approach, for all the right reasons – so I say ‘you go girl!!!’

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:52 am

Thanks Lisa!

Vicki February 28, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Thanks Liz .. Just the reminder I needed that I really do want to be my best just for me and whatever input others have should not be relevant. More possibly it’s their own insecurities.
I have been a bit off track with my recording and some choices so .. Back on it today!
Thanks again for inspiring us all x

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:52 am

Hey Vicki, good on you girl – you and me both! xx

Deb (Schmiet) February 28, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Great picture! I haven’t been fit and healthy in so long I can’t now recall what it was like when people were perhaps envious of my commitment to diet and exercise.

I’m sometimes nervous about sharing my goals in the event I fail to achieve them….

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:51 am

Hi Deb, I know what you mean about sharing goals, but I feel better I hear that other people don’t always get it right (like me) either!

Char February 29, 2012 at 12:25 am

I really get what you mean about trying to live your best life. That’s always my aim. But sometimes life gets in the way of goals and we have to readjust our priorities. You did what you had to do to get through a tough time and now you can get back on track. I’ve had to readjust my goals for the year – just aim to get healthy first and then build up my fitness again. Just as well we stretch and are flexible.

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:49 am

Hi Char, agree with your sentiments. I wasn’t very good with down time a few years back but am getting much better these days :)

KerryW February 29, 2012 at 1:04 am

Hi Liz! Well internet & phone still not working, so I’ve hijacked AW’s just quickly.

Oh you sound like me…trying to be perfect and being everything to everyone. :) As you and I have discovered – it not’s conducive to keeping your sanity.

Strange thing is (as we discussed) I’ve been going with the flow more and balancing life at the moment. I try to keep the place tidy, but it always ends up back in the same place. I’ve accepted that it’s not going to be how I want it everyday, and rather than spend all my time constantly cleaning, I make a little time each day to do something special. When I’m home at 11am I listen to Richard Fidler on conversations and do some reading. I’ve made that a non-negotiable time slot in my day, and even though the house isn’t perfect, I’m finding I’m more relaxed and getting that balance I’m always screaming out about. As for nutrition, I’m on track and as you know, even though I’m not training as intensely or as much ATM, I’m losing bodyfat. Like you said…it’s 95% nutrition, and I’m feeling much happier for it now.

Hopefully, with Mr Lucy now being more mobile, your life can return to it’s regularity of routine, and I have no doubt you’ll be on top of that small gain in no time! :)

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:49 am

Hi Kerry,
Thanks for such a great comment – I think that making myself accountable for my actions and ‘recalibrating’ where I need to be has helped a great deal. Feeling a bit lighter already! x

KerryW February 29, 2012 at 1:07 am

Oh! “To Thine Self Be True”….it’s getting easier to do this as I get older, and be more accepting of others, their journey and times of self-discovery. Now all I have to do is be more accepting of myself, including my strengths, rather than dwell on the areas I need to improve. :)

Gennie February 29, 2012 at 1:28 am

I only discuss my health, exercise, body goals etc with my partner because he is on the same page. Friends and family are usually negative, which means a weekend at my parents means I have to eat what is served even if it is something I wouldn’t normally eat because the comments etc are just not worth it. Luckily I don’t spend too much time at my parents!

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:47 am

Hi Gennie,
Parents are funny animals sometimes – my mother told me recently that she was worried I’d have a heart attack on my bike! AT least if I go out this way, I’ll be doing something that I love!
PS owe you an email!

Emma February 29, 2012 at 2:25 am

Love this post Liz. xx

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:46 am

Thanks Emma!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig February 29, 2012 at 2:55 am

So many people think it’s okay to comment about women trying to lose weight/body fat, but they would rarely say something when someone’s gaining weight. It’s so frustrating.

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:46 am

Hi Tara, I’ve got to say I’ve experienced both – but it really doesn’t matter what other people think – it matters what you think (well I keep trying to work on that!)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts February 29, 2012 at 7:51 am

I’m glad you wrote this post. There is no one right (or wrong) approach to health and fitness. You’re spot on in saying that, as women, we can be critical of others working towards their health and fitness goals – I am sure a certain amount of envy sometimes comes into play. And of course, what works for one women won’t work for another anyway. If you have an approach that works for you – that is great. And I’m glad that Mr Lucy is starting to feel better so it’s a bit easier for you more generally!

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:45 am

Thanks Kari – gosh it’s been a long road, but it is good to see him on his way – and thanks for the post compliments!

Sandra February 29, 2012 at 8:05 am

Loved chatting to you yesterday! Great photo!

…I totally get that you didn’t want to be judged by writing about your plan to lose some weight etc. I am going through a similar dilemma at the moment. After deciding to dis-connect (?) myself from the whole 12WBT group thing (or as Deb put it, manic enthusiasm), I doubted whether or not to “go public” for exactly the same reasons you mention…everybody knows what’s right for everybody else…
As it is, I still use Michelle Bridge’s cookbooks etc but I also plan to incorporate some of my own knowledge into losing my weight – stuff from the past that I KNOW works FOR ME.
xo

Liz N February 29, 2012 at 10:45 am

Hi Sandra,
Excellent. I do enjoy some of Michelle’s recipes as well! xx

Pip March 4, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Hi Liz!

Fantastic post I think and I totally agree with you. I seem to like to talk about ‘objectives and plans’ but hate it when I don’t see them through and I love it when I do! I am *working* on less talk/more doing…..then talking up more accomplishments.

I have an exciting idea for next year but at this point don’t feel anywhere near ready to wanna share! When I achieve some goals and if I decide to go ahead with it, I will share :-)

All the best with the yoga teaching!

Liz N March 5, 2012 at 10:38 am

Pip, I love that you are so passionate about your goals! xx